Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Little Sable Point Lighthouse

Along the western coast of Michigan are many beautiful lighthouses. One of my favorites is a historic red brick lighthouse called Little Sable Point.
This lighthouse was opened in 1874 and stands 115 feet tall. Originally the tower had a keepers house that was attached by a walkway, but this keepers house was torn down after electrical power was brought to the lighthouse and a constant keeper was no longer necessary. Today the beautiful lighthouse is now open to visitors who want to climb the 139 cast iron steps to the top. I visited the lighthouse one morning before the lighthouse was open and walked around the ground photographing the lighthouse from various angles. I really enjoyed the views of the lighthouse among the sand dunes on the coast.
I was able to take some unusual photos when I noticed the sun was rising just behind the light. Here is one of the resulting photos.
You can read more about my photographing adventures on this page Unique Lighthouse Photography.

All photographs were taken by mbgphoto

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful spot, beautiful lighthouse. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After seeing the little point sable my parents and I have actually climbed those 139 steps it is the most exhilarating experience I have ever experienced. I have practically almost grown up in Michagain back and fourth from Indiana where I was raised and born. My Grandparents & my dad and aunt & uncle built a cottage on silver lake. For many years we've owned the cottage in Mears. I want to say it's the 4th one down from the channel. It's been a few years since we've been there. My grandmother sold it to some one who lives in Colorado as far as I know. We have enjoyed the cottage for many of years ever since we've all grown up. Our whole family is still saddened to see it owned by the ones my grandmother sold it to after her passing in Arizona may God bless her soul.
    I know our family still misses her soul righteously and misses going to the cottage
    That my Grandparents and my dad & aunt,uncle built. It. Would be nice to go back to reflect on all the fond memories we have as a family. And thanks for letting me share this story with you.🙂

    ReplyDelete