Saturday, October 6, 2012

Split Rock Lighthouse in Minnesota

We took a fall trip to Minnesota to photograph the lighthouses and the fall foliage. I had heard that Split Rock on Lake Superior was a great lighthouse to photograph so I was really looking forward to seeing it. I got my first view when we stopped at a roadside viewing area about 1/2 mile from the lighthouse. I was amazed at the great view of the lighthouse from this distance. It was a cloudy day and the sky was grey but I was able to get this photo of the lighthouse with the pretty fall foliage in the foreground.
The next day was a brighter day so we headed out in the morning to the state park where the Split Rock Lighthouse is located. I wanted to get some more photos from the area near the shore and then I was planning on touring the lighthouse. I walked on several trails near the lighthouse looking for a perfect spot for a photo. I ended up taking over 100 shots, but I think the one below of the lighthouse framed in the fall leaves, is my favorite.
After finishing shooting from the shoreline, I took a tour of the lighthouse and lighthouse grounds. It is a fairly short lighthouse with only 32 steps to reach the top of the tower. The location high on the cliff is what gives the lighthouse a prominant position for warning ships from the coast. Here is my favorite photo taken up close to the lighthouse.

1 comment:

  1. Great tower, completely reserved. The details of the light are really astonishing!Light Tower

    ReplyDelete