Saturday, June 13, 2015

Lighthouses in Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island


Cruising to Canadian Ports

I had heard about the interesting lighthouses in Nova Scotia and was anxious to photograph them. In the fall of 2010, a group of us went on a cruise that started in New York City and stopped at several ports in Nova Scotia as well as Prince Edward Island and Quebec City.
I knew it would be difficult to photograph lighthouses when I was at the mercy of the cruise ship and touring schedules, but I was hoping to catch a glimpse of a few. I signed up for a tour to Peggy's Cove lighthouse so I knew that at least I would be able to capture some images of that highly photographed lighthouse. I was happily surprised when I was able to photograph several other lighthouses as the cruise ship stopped at the various harbours in Nova Scotia. I learned that Nova Scotia has more lighthouses than any other province in Canada. 170 lighthouses dot the shores of Nova Scotia. I was able to photograph 6 of them on my cruise.
Prince Edward Island has 50 lighthouses and I was able to photograph 4 of them. I found the shapes of many of the lighthouses to be quite unique (or at least different from those I was used to on the eastern coast of the USA).
In 2014 we returned to Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island for a second visits. I have added more photos of lighthouses from that trip.
This page will serve as my introduction to the lighthouses in Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. I hope you enjoy my photographs and my musings on my lighthouse visits.

Halifax Harbour - Lighthouses

I took this photo of one of the lighthouses in Halifax Harbour at dusk as the cruise ship was leaving the harbour. The lighthouse is on McNab's island. We were not given any information on the lighthouses that we passed on the cruise ship so my information comes from searches on the internet. I tried to match my photos with photos online and the places we had visited so it is possible a name or two could be mistaken. At any rate there were lots of lighthouses that we passed as we entered the ports. All of them seemed to be much smaller than many of the lighthouses I have seen on the US coasts.

Halifax Harbor Lighthouse

This lighthouse was located in Halifax harbor right where our ship was docked.  I was able to capture some good photos from the decks of the ship.
This lighthouse was located in Halifax harbor right where our ship was docked. I was able to capture some good photos from the decks of the ship.
Source: Mary Beth Granger

Peggy's Cove in Nova Scotia - famous lighthouse

Peggy's cove
Peggy's cove

I had read a lot about Peggy's cove and I was really excited to be able to photograph the lighthouse. I was hoping for good weather and I was not disappointed. The bright blue sky with white fluffy clouds made a beautiful backdrop for my photographs of the lighthouse. It was a very windy day and even the rough look to the sea added to the photos.

Lighthouses Dot the Shores of Nova Scotia

I photographed this lighthouse as the ship was pulling away from Halifax.  It was just at the entrance to the bay high up on a rocky hill.
I photographed this lighthouse as the ship was pulling away from Halifax. It was just at the entrance to the bay high up on a rocky hill.
Source: Mary Beth Granger

Double lighthouses seen as ship was headed toward Charlottetown in Prince Edward Island.
Double lighthouses seen as ship was headed toward Charlottetown in Prince Edward Island.
Source: Mary Beth Granger

Prince Edwards Island - a fun stop on our cruise

Prince Edward Island was a great stop on our cruise. When we arrived in port we took a cruise and was able to see a bit of the countryside. Of course, I was thrilled to see the lighthouses on the island. As you can see from my photos they are different shapes than many of the lighthouses we see in the US. I was even able to climb to the top of one of the lighthouses. It was only a few short steps...I'd say 20 or less. Most of the lighthouses I saw were painted red and white.
On Prince Edwards Island you see things about the famous children's class, Anne of Green Gables. I was able to buy a book and doll for my granddaughter. We also saw many small churches throughout the countryside.

Lighthouse on Shore of Prince Edward Island

Lighthouse photo taken from cruise ship
Lighthouse photo taken from cruise ship
Source: Mary Beth Granger

No comments:

Post a Comment