Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Staying at a Lighthouse Bed and Breakfast

Lighthouses have always fascinated me and since my retirment 6 years ago, I have traveled to and photographed 60 lighthouses. The one thing I have always wanted to do is to stay all night in a lighthouse and this fall I got my chance. While looking for a place to stay for our Minnesota fall excursion, my husband found a lighthouse bed and breakfast that had an opening for one of the nights we would be in the area. We found Two Harbors lighthouse to be a delightful place to stay. It is a working lighthouse and has three guest bedrooms on the second floor.
We stayed in the Harbor room which had a window looking out on the harbor. When a large ship left the harbor just after midnight, I got out of bed and watched it from our window. What a great treat! Staying in the lighthouse enabled me to take photos at all times of day and night and I was really excited when I realized it was the full harvest moon while we were there and I was able to capture this photo of the lighthouse and the moon.
Then when the first rays of sunlight peaked over Lake Superior in the morning, I was again able to go outside and get some great shots.
If you would like to read more about my experience at Two Harbors please stop by my Squidoo page.Two Harbors Lighthouse Bed and Breakfast

2 comments: